Whether you’re moving locally or across the country, packing tends to be a tedious task to do. With several details to keep in mind including the energy, you’ll spend on lifting heavy boxes, the entire job seems to be very overwhelming. However, packing doesn’t have to be complicated as long as you plan and prepare for it.
In this article, we’ll tackle five tips on how to pack your belongings like a pro and make your relocation hassle and stress – free. Here we go.
1. Schedule your time.
People who are moving tend to procrastinate when it comes to packing. They don’t start packing up their stuff until the very last minute, and as a consequence, they regret their decision. Fortunately, you don’t necessarily have to procrastinate. All you need to do is to make a schedule to manage your time appropriately.
By giving yourself ample time to pack in advance of the moving day, you can be able to deal with the process with ease and speed. That said, it’s essential to assess the amount of time you’re willing to spend on the packing task. Check out the calendar and allocate a few weeks to tackle the work in an orderly manner.
2.Declutter your current space.
Once you have your packing schedule finalized, the next big thing to do is to declutter. Packing all your stuff will be much easier and faster if you reduce the workload by getting rid of everything that’s no longer needed. Doing so will save you from stress and anxiety down the road.
When you start decluttering, the first step to take is to sort all your items out into three categories. The first pile should be the items that are to be tossed, the second one is for those to be donated, and the third one is for those you intend to keep with you. By doing this, you’ll have a better idea on what to do with the unnecessary items later on. After sorting out, you can have the items donated to a local charity or hold a garage sale for those you want to keep. When everything is done, you can quickly move forward to the next task.
3. Get all required packing supplies.
Before the actual packing starts, you’ll need enough packing supplies as well as moving boxes of various sizes. These will be used to box items of different sizes as well. Moreover, it’s essential to ensure that the quality of the materials is reliable and high-quality. If you don’t know what to do, you can ask a professional like Movers NYC
for valuable advice or recommendations. Apart from the moving boxes, be sure to acquire the following materials:
- Bubble wraps
- Labeling stickers
- Newspapers or moving sheets
- Packaging Tape
- Wrapping sheets
4. Pack efficiently.
Now that you have enough packing supplies in place, it’s time to tackle the actual packing process. Below are some essential things to do to make packing smoother and less tedious:
- Go room by room – It’s more helpful to undertake the task room by room because it breaks the process into more manageable parts. Not only that but packing all your stuff by room can help you stay organized. For example, you can begin packing in spaces like the kitchen and living room. After these spaces, proceed with the mostly-used area in your home which is the bedroom.
- Be organized – Make sure to pack items in a similar category rather than randomly putting them all in one box. When it comes to your fragile pieces, use bubble wraps or padding in between them for protection. Moreover, Put lighter items in bigger boxes while bulky items in smaller boxes to make them more manageable during the move. Once you’re done, tighten each box using packaging tape.
- Have a label system – This will enable you to easily and quickly sort out what’s inside the box once you arrive at your new home. With a label system in place, you’ll know even with a glance what are the contents in all your boxes. Don’t forget to mark all the sides of the boxes. If you have more time, you can opt to list down all the items within the box. Whatever method you use, it makes finding a particular item easier.
5. Prepare an overnight bag.
While nobody thinks of it as an essential undertaking, preparing an overnight bag can help ensure that nothing essential or irreplaceable gets lost during the move. That said, it’s recommended to get ready with this bag and bring it with you wherever you go. Here’s what you can place in your overnight bag:
- Documents such as I.Ds, birth certificates, passports)
- Valuable pieces of jewelry
- Electronic devices such as mobile phones and laptops
- Clothes that are good for a few days including personal items
Even if you don’t look forward to packing, moving home still requires you to pack up all your things and haul them into the moving truck. Follow these tips so you’ll be able to deal with this project like a pro. Moreover, these tips will also be within reach if you hire experienced and reputable moving companies NYC
and if you need to be thrifty with packing.